Surah Al-Qadr , verses: 2-5, ref:Tafseer Ibn-Kathir.
2. But what will convey to you what the Night of Decree is?
3. The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months.
4. In it descend the angels and the Spirit, by the leave of their Lord, with every command.
5. Peace it is; until the rise of dawn
The Night of Al-Qadr is better than a thousand months.
Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Hurayrah “When
Ramadan would come, the Messenger of Allah would say,
“Verily, the month of Ramadan has come to you
all. It is a blessed month, which Allah has
obligated you all to fast.
During it the gates of Paradise are opened, the
gates of Hell are closed and the devils are
In it there is a night that is better than one
thousand months. Whoever is deprived of its
good, then he has truly been deprived.”
An-Nasa’i recorded this same Hadith.
Aside from the fact that worship during the Night of Al-
Qadr is equivalent to worship performed for a period of
one thousand months, it is also confirmed in the Two
Sahihs from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah
“Whoever stands (in prayer) during the Night of
Al-Qadr with faith and expecting reward (from
Allah), he will be forgiven for his previous sins.”
4. the angels descend in abundance during
the Night of Al-Qadr due to its abundant blessings.
The angels descend with the descending of blessings
and mercy, just as they descend when the Qur’an is
recited, they surround the circles of Dhikr
(remembrance of Allah) and they lower their wings
with true respect for the student of knowledge.
In reference to Ar-Ruh, it is said that here it means the
Concerning Allah’s statement, ٍ(min kulli amr – with every
matter), Mujahid said,
“Peace concerning every matter.”
Sa`id bin Mansur said, Isa bin Yunus told us that Al-
Amash narrated to them that Mujahid said concerning
Allah’s statement, َsalamun hiya – There is peace),
“It is security in which Shaytan cannot do any evil
or any harm.”
Qatadah and others have said,
“The matters are determined during it, and the
times of death and provisions are measured out
(i.e., decided) during it.”
Therein is decreed every matter of decree. (44:4)
5. Then Allah says,
There is peace until the appearance of dawn.
Qatadah and Ibn Zayd both said concerning Allah’s
statement, (There is peace),
“This means all of it is good and there is no evil in
it until the coming of Fajr (dawn).”
Note: Every word above is copy pasted from Ibn Kathir tafsir PDF, no alteration but yes I skipped certain parts and pasted only the most explaining parts to keep it concise and short. Like if there are many ahadith quoted then I’m quoting one of them.
Ok then if it seems tiring for you to read entire stuff and you just scrolled down reaching here then, I’ll summarise it for you :-
- Better than 1000 months.
- Every act of worship is rewarded as thought you worshipped for 1000 months = 83.4 years approx.
- All past sins will be forgiven for those who worship out of sincere faith.
- Angels descend in abundance with descending peace and blessings.
- Surround the circle of dhikr and lower their wings in respect.
- The angel Jibreel(AS). also descends and it is specifically mentioned as ‘ruh’ in the verse.
- They come down with Allah’s permission.
- different matters of one’s life are decreed, matters of life and provision are decided during it.
There is peace in this night and there is no evil in it.